50 Beautiful and Cool Websites using Character Illustration

August 7, 2012 · 16 comments

by Dustin Betonio

websites-using-character-illustration

The use of character illustration in web design is a great and easy way to increase the amount of visual appeal your website has. Not only does it brighten things up and make your site a bit more captivating, but it also, if pulled off well, helps your visitors remember your design. Although the content is extremely important, a beautiful and engaging design helps to bring everything together. To create your own illustration you can start out by following some Illustrator cartoon tutorials.

In today’s post, I will showcase beautiful and stunning websites that are using character inspiration.

1. Meomi

261

49. Inspiredology

381

50. sr28

Author : Dustin

Betonio

Dustin Betonio is a Translation Management graduate at University of Mindanao. His earlier career was devoted on customer service outside the information highway. Currently studying Law in the same University.

Angela June 3, 2013 at 7:01 pm

Kre8iveCanada (www.kre8ive.ca) also uses a wide range of characters in their web design. Some are talking even… is this a good for branding? I am looking for a way to better brand my business. Thinking about trying something like this, and ideas?

EG August 7, 2012 at 11:25 pm

OMG really? This is good Web design? Really?

Nashville website developer July 3, 2012 at 12:38 am

Nice use of characters in design

Philip Seyfi January 17, 2012 at 3:56 am

Nice list! Quite a few beautiful websites I haven’t seen before.

By the way, we’re using cute illustrations all over http://lingualift.com/ – for example at
http://japanese.lingualift.com/contact/ ^^

hendy June 17, 2011 at 4:55 am
lvraa June 17, 2011 at 7:39 am

Thanks for the tip Hendy

Rev. Voodoo June 10, 2011 at 9:37 pm

Nice! I just got myself a happy little character on VoodooPress. Soon it will be time to redesign, and I was looking for ideas on making him a little more front and centre so to speak. I’ll be looking at these examples when I set down to designing.

Reality Dodge June 10, 2011 at 7:24 pm

I wish I had the talent to create cool characters. I’m a decent artist, but the human figure, even abstract or exaggerated versions of it is just beyond me.

John @Web Design Melbourne June 3, 2011 at 8:32 am

awesome collection
my favourites : Piipeonline, Justin Bird and Veboo Labs, Inspiredology

Thanks for sharing
John

Ted Thompson June 2, 2011 at 10:50 pm

Great collection of websites, Veboo Labs and BlackMoon Design are my favourites!

lvraa June 2, 2011 at 11:33 pm

Thanks for your opinion Ted!

Photoshop Plus June 2, 2011 at 9:09 pm

I also released an article similar to this one a couple of months back.

Inspirational work, thanks

Web Design Nottingham June 2, 2011 at 8:15 pm

Brilliant examples of Illustration! so much creative input!

ninjacontent June 2, 2011 at 11:54 am

Undoubtedly, most of the samples shown on your blog are amazing. However, what happens when a person with a slow internet connection visits these sites? Are these sites navigable with images turned off in the browser?

lvraa June 2, 2011 at 11:32 pm

This is a general concern and I have only seen it really enforced on government sites where availability for anyone is critical. Illustrations may however take up a lot less bandwidth than photos so I would say it is still a good option