WP-Answers: Turn WordPress Into Question and Answer Website

January 28, 2012 · 45 comments

WP-Answers

With the WP-Answers pluginyou can turn WordPress into a powerful Question and Answer Website. This has many interesting use cases and is a potential traffic magnet.

There is no doubt that WordPress got famous because it is an excellent blogging platform with one of the strongest open source communities ever. However we have seen a clear indication lately that WordPress is gaining serious popularity for other usages. The strongest trend is certainly using WordPress as a CMS. This is an interesting topic I think because WordPress can be a perfect match for most basic websites. Look at these examples and see for yourself. Another intersting movement in the WorPress space it plugins that extend it into completely new areas. A quite new but interesting example of this is WP-Answers that I will introduce you to in this article.

Disclosure: Please note that some of the links below are affiliate links and I will earn a commission if you purchase through those links (at no extra cost to you). I recommend that you do your own independent research before purchasing any product or service. This article is not a guideline, a recommendation or endorsement of specific products.

WP-Answers basically does what you would expect. Visitors to your website can register and ask questions, other members can answer these questions and then the original person selects the best answer and the question is marked as solved. It is related to a forum in to some extent, but as it is highly focused in solving the problems your visitors have it will put instant value on the table and this way increase traffic. If you have a blog already a Q&A feature may be a great way to build a stronger community and add more interesting content related to your niche – all on autopilot with WP-Answers. There are different views visitors can use to find questions and the pages have a design what quickly gives the user an overview.

WP-Answers popular entries view

WP-Answers Question and Answer Page

The demo on their site shows pretty well how WP-Answers  works and if you take a look you will also see that there are many answers from different people even though it is just a demo app. People stopping by feel invited to take part and it is very important and an indication that it is well designed and worth considering. The question and answer page looks like this.

WP-Answers Question and Answer Page  The

Using Categories and tags in WP-Answers

All questions is assigned to a category and it makes it possible for users to quickly browse relevant topics. Also as an administrator you will be able to control the types of questions you get in and what areas the belong to. A design blog like tripwire magazine could fx. have categories like: Web design, Photoshop, CSS, Blogging etc.

Using Categories and tags in WP-Answers

WP-Answers Points System

Members receive points for answering questions and lose points for asking questions, a leaderboard is included showing the top users. This encourages members to get be more active within the site.
The points system is full configurable via the admin panel.

WP-Answers Profile Pages

Each member gets their own profile page which shows their information, questions asked and questions answered.
They can edit this and upload an avatar.

Automatic Content from Yahoo Answers

WP-Answers Automatic Content from Yahoo Answers

You can configure the plugin to pull content directly from Yahoo Answers (US, UK or Canada sites). It then posts this as questions and any replies are also posted as if from members of your site.
Regular members can also contribute answers.
Actually you can use this part of the plugin on its own with Any Theme

Auto Updating

Using a built in CRON system you can configure the plugin to post content regularly when you specify, from every hour to once a month.
This is great to feed the search engines with fresh content.

Customise Content to your Niche

Whatever the subject of your site is, WP-Answers can be tailored to fit its needs by the use of search terms. You can set up unlimited search terms which will pull content from Yahoo Answers based on that. You can then assign each search term to a different category on your site.

Full Advertising Management

You can control the appearance of all the ads on your site from the admin panel, insert adsense blocks and affiliate / private banners with ease.

6 Optimised themes Included

Buyers receive 6 Premium, optimised wordpress themes included with the plugin which are very easy to customise. They are full widgetized and include a theme options panel for you to configure them. We are always working on creating new themes which will be released regularly.

image

If you want to try out WP-Answers or see the demo go here.

WP-Answers Admin Panel

The new admin panel look really great and is easy to use. Facebook and twitter integration has been added and is managed from here.

WP-Answers Admin Panel

WP-Answers Examples

As always with websites based on WordPress it is easy to customize the design. Using WP-Answers does not change this as you can see below. If you know of other Q&A websites running on WP-Answers I will happy to add them here. Just post a comment.

image

image

image

WP-Answers popular entries view

Web traffic October 31, 2012 at 8:00 pm

The speedy red wolf jumped over the lazy dog

Riya September 3, 2012 at 5:35 pm

I have checked the theme and its really good, currently I am using elegant theme ASKIT, is their any way to convert my current theme into this.

Plz reply.

Lars September 4, 2012 at 8:22 am

Hi Riya

Changing the theme is simple but getting the QA data with you is the challenge. I would recommend that you set up a replica of your site on a temporary development webserver where you install the new WP-Answers theme (can be a local one running WAMP or LAMP). Then you need someone with database skills who can export the data from your current themes tables. And map it into the structure of the new database tables used by WP-Answers. I think it is pretty trivial for a developer but since I have not looked at the tables in details I’m not 100% sure.
Once the migration process has been tested you pull over fresh data and put your site in maintenance mode for 10-15 min while the fresh data is migrated, tested. Then you move the entire site using the new template to your production server. Tools like Backup Buddy makes this simple and fast.

Kind regards
Lars

Riya September 6, 2012 at 8:59 pm

I guess it tough for me, as I am not so technical.

Peter De Bruyn June 26, 2012 at 11:23 pm

Can anybody tell me if when replaying, you can ad a url to an article on your site. And would that be a follow or a no follow link?

Sergey Oganesyan March 14, 2012 at 2:21 pm

Thanks for the review of the topic! I think, buy it!

Iphone docking station February 4, 2012 at 7:45 pm

This is a very nice plugin. i have the muilt-license and it works well. i have adsense and infolink intext adverts

Web Design June 19, 2011 at 4:38 pm

Great plugin! I might wanna use it on my website sometime soon! What I’ve noticed, tho, the “article” titles are H2. Dunno if we can modify that to H1, for a better SEO.
H1 goes in the header (logo) – which is a good idea for the first page but that’s all.

Internet Radio May 11, 2011 at 12:55 pm

Great Theme ;)

Africa Jobs April 29, 2011 at 1:28 pm

I like this theme, will buy but please can you add my email to your database and send me an email when you have a promo-discount code, how about google index

Andy April 29, 2011 at 8:48 pm

Hi Africa Jobs – I just search in Google and found some discount-codes working perfectly. If you go to their shopping cart and use this code: WARRIOR79 you will get a nice discount. Good luck

Nigeria News April 29, 2011 at 1:25 pm

I think I like the idea of answe and question theme.I may have to grab a copy

PCTip April 14, 2011 at 6:28 am

This theme is awesome! But do you know how to integrate this with existing theme? Maybe using only the plugin, but I don’t know how to do it. Does anyone has any experience with this?

Lars April 14, 2011 at 3:48 pm

Not sure it is that simple. Try to contact the vendor.

Carcinomatype.com February 15, 2011 at 2:25 pm

You can get more wikipedia wordpress theme @ http://www.nichewp.com/2-wikipedia-wordpress-themes.html

soccer scores24 February 12, 2011 at 7:49 pm

I think this theme is beter than the dailywp. that is my opinion though

Lars February 12, 2011 at 11:47 pm

Thanks for sharing your view.

rinkal kumar February 1, 2011 at 8:23 am

u r servise is marbles it gives more plaser.

KAKHA13 December 2, 2010 at 5:33 pm

hey. please help me. i wanna add user’s points information on user profile page. can you tell me what code can i use?
thanks.

gira November 29, 2010 at 8:16 am

great theme
hi tobey, im using http://www.dailywp.com/qna-theme/ by dailywp.com, its usefull

Rose November 20, 2010 at 4:00 am

@tobey: thanks, it’s really useful…

tobey November 18, 2010 at 10:35 am

thanks, great theme
i’ve just found “QnA Theme” like this theme on dailywp.com, function is the same, hope these theme are useful

PMach November 11, 2010 at 11:36 am

…one more question…how about addthis…can i easily integrate this tool so that someone can forward and bookmark questions and answers?

PMach November 11, 2010 at 11:32 am

Hi did you check out if one can ask a question without login? how about the translation setting?

Thanks for answering. Regards

P Mach

Lars November 11, 2010 at 3:32 pm

Sorry I will need to check it out myself. You may want to check this out as well:http://www.tripwiremagazine.com/2010/11/quality-control-turn-wordpress-into-a-ticketing-system.html

Vikram November 11, 2010 at 9:50 am

I have the WP-Answers plugin. How do i use it on my existing blog like John asked. Should i add one more wordpress and then install that theme there? I want a “Q&A” link(like Home, Contact Us,..) on my original blog and then link should be directed to /existingblogname.com/qna/ with this plugin.

John October 23, 2010 at 10:53 pm

Can i use this plugin if i already have a blog, Can i just include a page like blogname.com/qna/
and is it possible for me to get the plugin on torrrent on rapidshare related site?

Lars October 23, 2010 at 11:07 pm

You should be able to use it on an existing blog, but I will recommend that you support the developer by purchasing it if you decide to use it.

Vikram December 17, 2010 at 9:10 am

How do i do it for the existing blog. Please check my comment below. Thank you.

Katie @ Women Magazine September 10, 2010 at 2:59 pm

I think Answers from templatic is better because it does not require the users to log in to answer. we are not answers.yahoo.com where people will come again and again looking for an answer. If you build that feature then your theme is anytime better than theirs.

tripwire team September 10, 2010 at 5:32 pm