The value of validating user input should not be underestimated. First of all it helps user put in the right information faster and if implemented elegantly users may not even notice that they are assisted. Client side validation can work as users type and instantly advice them without waiting till the submit button have been pressed (and until the user have waited for a round trip to the server. If the information you need to check against is not possible to have available for client side validation you should consider using ajax to retrieve the information behind the scene while your users work with the form. In order to do this you will need server side executions as well but it is quite simple as shown in the user name checker below. This post cover the best scripts and tutorials available and will get you started validating faster than you think.
Using WordPress? Check out our recent post: Most Essential Tips for Improving Response Time of Your WordPress Blog
A mask is defined by a format made up of mask literals and mask definitions. Any character not in the definitions list below is considered a mask literal. Mask literals will be automatically entered for the user as they type and will not be able to be removed by the user. The following mask definitions are predefined:
- a – Represents an alpha character (A-Z,a-z)
- 9 – Represents a numeric character (0-9)
- * – Represents an alphanumeric character (A-Z,a-z,0-9)
jQuery is elegant and simple! Validation build on top of jQuery plugins is too… With this jQuery plugin you need a single line of jQuery to select the form and apply the validation plugin. And a bit of metadata on each element to specify the validation rules.
This is a tutorial that shows you how to create a very nice jQuery-based form with ajax posting and validation. Our form will also change the css classes of the inputs, display validation errors and all that sexy stuff which is meant to help our visitor better identify what was filled wrong and what needs to be done in order to successfully submit the form.
When it comes to form validation, it’s hard to have a versatile solution that works with every form. Figuring out how to display errors is not a simple task. This is something the author have tried to remedy with this script. When an error needs to be displayed, the script creates a div and positions it in the top right corner of the input. This way you don’t have to worry about your HTML form structure. The rounded corner and shadow are done with CSS3 and degrade well in non compliant browsers. There is no images needed.
This form validator is pretty easy to implement and is built with jQuery. Since the link doesn’t have a download you can download it here http://www.willjessup.com/sandbox/jquery/form_validator/val.js
Simple and easy to use form validation based on mootools.
- optional onFail function.
- optional onSuccess function which will overide the form submition, this can be used to validate an ajax form.
- onBlur validating
- shows errors next to item or in a list.
- Numerous functions that performs common operations on objects, strings, arrays, form fields, events and more
- A dynamic table, supporting paging, sorting and editing, fully customizable using CSS (Cascading Style Sheets)
- Masks for restricting / formatting user input on form fields
This plugin allows you to check the username availability without reloading the page.
FormCheck is a class that allows you to perform different tests on form to validate them before submission.
- Works perfect with iMask as it’s complement.
- Multiple forms per page supported.
- Number of verified fields is not limited.
- Number of filters per field is not limited.
- Predefined formats: required, alpha, alphanum, integer, real, date, email, phone, url. (all customizable)
- Support to register missing formats.
- Highlight fields onValid and onInvalid.
- Error reporting just after onBlur.
- Easy to set and maintain.
- Unobstrutive and XHTML Strict friendly.
This is a form validation script with many features that is very easy to use.
Thanks for visiting us – want more inspiration?
Do you have a Ebook reader? There is a lot of awesome Nook color covers that will personalize and protect your Nook color.
Optimize your search engine ranking easily with Traffic Travis and the little known loopehole technique.